Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Father and Son

Sit up my baby son
And let me tell thee of some times
When men would fashion beauty from firewood
And gather food from the woods
When women would sew and cook to keep thee warm
And life was simple

Stand up young son and let me see thee
And tell thee of some times
When men were hungry for success
When brains began to beggar boredom
And steam and smoke were in our throats
And life was hard

Stand up tall my young man
And let me tell thee of some times
When guns and power ruled the land
When blood flowed freely and life was cheap
When images once only in mind were put on screens
To enjoy or fear
And life was so complex to consider

Now sit thee down my grown up lad
And rest thee by my bed
And I’ll tell thee of times I shrink from now
When age and frailty are comedy
And jack the lad is king
When potions cure us of all life’s ills
But poison our minds with the need to escape
And life is sweeping past me like an irresistible tide
Which I now long to carry me with it

Then stand up alone son of mine and be proud
That God made thee and loves thee still
For all the bad things that you’ll see
You will also find good if you seek it
And for all the tensions of life and anguish
May you find peace in the succour of others
And know that I love thee
And life can be so sweet

No comments:

Post a Comment